Saturday, July 8, 2023

Collecting Soulmates

I've stopped asking for a mate in every breath, in every drop of blood
That falls post ritual. I've given up, and had enough
Of heartbreak, of broken promises, of hope,
And I can rebuild each ancient city we have traveled through
From dust - with the pieces of my shattered soul. 
I just can't hope. I cannot fight. I don't want more. 
I've given you the best years of my life,
I've given you the innocent hope of happy endings
Of ever afters, of curtains closing, 
And if you called my number, knocked on my door,
Or filled my mailbox- I'd be there. 
There are tattoos upon my skin in ink, in scars, in shadowed kisses
That mark me yours, and his, and theirs, and I am nothing
On my own, just something that you used to own
And have since discarded. 
The rituals continue and I sacrifice what's asked of me,
My time, my tears, my blood, my lifetimes at your side,
But I no longer ask the powers for a soulmate, just a partner,
Someone to take up space, to hold me tightly,
Someone to love me as I have loved you once, as I do love you still. 
I'm done with soulmates, I'm done with hope,
I want no shadow on my crooked soul,
I want no expectation that my being, whole, is someone else's. 
I've written you a thousand poems with my shaking hands,
I've written you in ink, and blood, and ones and zeroes,
My dreams, my tears, the aftermath of what I have become
Is one long symphony for you, my Menelaus,
A siren's song to return home where you belong,
A summons for the powers to fill my gaping soul
With someone kinder, someone who can sacrifice for me
The little that I need, the little I have left,
Because I've poured and poured into every empty cup
The universe has given me and I-
Deserve my chance at happiness, and I- 
I wish it at your hands that wrote me odysseys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment