Sunday, December 10, 2023

Per Favore

Please don't look at me like that. 
As if you're drowning, lost at sea
And I'm the only raft for miles,
The stars you planned your courses by,
The northern lights you've 
Pinned your hopes into. 
Please, I beg of you, 
Like I've begged no man before,
Don't look at me like you've been searching
Centuries to find me again,
Like you have traveled the whole world over
For the chance to taste the hope
That's on my skin. 
Please, don't look at me like drowning men,
Don't throw your hands to gather me
Unless you mean to hold the raft. 
Unless you mean to give the truth
That I require as recompense
For saving you.  
Please.  I will believe you when your eyes
Meet mine, pupils dilated, lips parted,
And I can feel your heartbeat in my chest
Each time you look at me like this will be the last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment